Fun thing to do on starry summer nights.
We, at Booking Holidays Travel, love a night market. Blaring music, blazing fires, delicious aromas wafting through the air, the sizzle of saucepans as they hit the open flames, and crowds jostling for a seat at a communal table (okay, the last bit we can do without). And, in summer, when it’s warm outside, there’s no better way to spend the evening than enjoying a casual meal with good friends under a starry sky. No mess, no fuss, and no dishes to wash up after you’ve eaten! Here are our best night markets in the Cape.
1. LOURENSFORD TWILIGHT MARKET
Where Somerset West
The lush gardens of Lourensford Estate become more enchanting at these Friday night markets, when twinkly fairy lights deck the trees, creating a mystical forest atmosphere. Live entertainment, a dedicated children’s play area and an array of food and drink stalls make the Lourensford Twilight Market the perfect place to kick off your weekend.
First Fridays On the first Friday of every month, some big-name DJs take to the decks to spin vibey tunes under a glittering night sky.
Good to know The market is dog-friendly.
- Casa Valdez for hearty spare ribs
- The Samoosa Specialist for gourmet samoosas
- The Magnificent Barista Boys for great coffee
- The Fudge Kitchen for top-notch fudge
- Dr Juice for fresh fruit and vegetable juices
- Tunisian Delight’s tapas
- Ghenwa’s Lebanese treats (paired with Lourensford’s award-winning wines)
- Corlie’s Italian for gnocchi, arancini, and more
Opening times Friday, 5pm – 9pm (September – May)
Contact 072 284 1654, email@example.com
Location Lourensford Wine Estate, Lourensford Road, Somerset West
2. FRIDAY NIGHT MARKET AT BOSCHENDAL
This illustrious winery is a scenic setting to be sure, with a maze of wonderful gardens and magnificent mountain views. And this season, visitors have the opportunity to experience this spectacular setting at nighttime. Boschendal’s Friday night market takes place in its historic Werf area, where guests can enjoy live music, and an array of artisanal food and drink stands.
Good to know
- Boschendal will be hosting a Christmas Friday Night Market on 7 December 2018
- Stalls at the market change weekly, so you’ll get to see new faces – and taste new things – every time you visit
Opening times Friday, 6pm – 9pm (until 19 April 2019)
Contact 021 870 4200, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location Boschendal Wine Estate, Pniel Road, Groot Drakenstein
3. CAPE POINT VINEYARDS NOORDHOEK COMMUNITY MARKET
Frequented by the likes of Masterchef SA judge Peter Goffe-Wood, and Cape Point Vineyards’ resident chef, Jonathan Gargan, the Cape Point Vineyards Market is where south peninsula locals flock every Thursday evening for an array of inspired street food-style dishes, chilled vibes and stunning views.
The festivities take place in the restaurant and picnic area of Cape Point Vineyards, whose award-winning wines are available at great prices. There is ample parking and long stretches of open grass with a jungle gym for the little ones to blow off steam.
- The Lamb Man for melt-in-your-mouth lamb neck
- Kitchen Cowboys for steak (or pork belly) ciabattas
- Earth Fire Pizza for crispy wood-fired pizza
- Donut Factory for vegan donuts
- Mel’s Flowers for fresh, bright blooms
- Amethyst for imported silver and gemstone jewellery
- The pocket money kids market by the play area
Opening times Thursday, 4.30pm – 8.30pm
Contact 021 789 0900, email@example.com
Location Silvermine Road, Noordhoek, Cape Town
4. BLUE BIRD GARAGE MARKET
The bohemian flair of this beachside suburb in Cape Town is captured in this characterful market which, true to Muizenberg’s quirky nature, is situated in an old postal plane hangar. Artisans, artists, bakers and brewers gather every Friday evening for a vibrant night market that brings to mind New York’s buzzy East Village. In addition to the delicious food on offer, the market boasts a delightful range of books, clothes, jewellery, ceramics and more!
The unique venue gives the Blue Bird Market an urban edge, while the laid-back vibe makes it perfect for a family outing. Even dogs are welcome (please keep them on a leash), and children will have plenty to keep them occupied, with their own play area (that includes a jungle gym), as well as various activities, such as face-painting, glitter and sand art.
- Bunga Bunga for lip-smacking flame-grilled steaks
- Grub’s Gourmet Burgers
- Babycakes Chocolates for handmade chocolate bars
- Craft beer on tap and local wines
- Aeroplane Jane Vintage for vintage clothing
- SBC Ceramics and Nelipot Creations for customised jewellery
- Aether Apothecary and Herbalist
Opening times Friday, 4pm – 10pm
First Sunday of the month, 11am – 4pm
Contact 084 405 3544 / 082 920 4285, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location Blue Bird Garage, 39 Albertyn Road, Muizenberg
5. FORT FOOD TRUCK MARKET
Where Green Point
This new family-friendly market happens every Friday in the green belt of the Atlantic Seaboard at Fort Wynyard. Expect gourmet food trucks, live music, a beer and wine garden, and a craft market. Fort Wynyard is home to a labyrinth of tunnels, bunkers and impressive artillery pieces to explore, creating a rich historical backdrop for your alfresco experience.
Good to know
- Enquire about the free guided tours that happen on the hour.
- The market is dog-friendly.
- Tru Pizza for crispy pizzas
- Carte Cuisine for gourmet burgers
- Senor Onion for delicious Mexican food
- Captain Corndogs
- Mighty Schwarma for chicken, lamb and falafel pitas
- Sunshine Food Co for vegan and vegetarian salads and wraps
- Zevenwacht Wines for a free wine-tasting
Opening times Fridays, 4pm – 10pm
Contact 0796228597, email@example.com
Location Fort Wynyard, corner Fort Wynyard Street & Granger Bay Boulevard, Granger Bay, Cape Town
Please note This market is only open from September – March
6. CHILLED MARKET AT THE RANGE
End the week with a visit to this forest market in Tokai, where a warm log cabin and covered seating provides shelter from the wind. Local wines, craft beers and food can be purchased from the various stalls and enjoyed at seating dotted around the venue.
Opening times Friday, 4:30pm – 9:30pm
Contact 021 713 2340, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location The Range Function and Conference Centre, Orpen Road, Tokai, Cape Town
7. BAY HARBOUR MARKET
Fresh Local Markets
Where Hout Bay
This vibrant marketplace, set inside an old authentic fish factory, brings together local craftsmen, artists and musicians. Browse over 100 stalls from fashion and footwear, to jewellery and decor before sitting down to enjoy some of the delicious food and drinks on offer. Sit inside next to the cosy fire, or enjoy the refreshing ocean air on the outside patio. The market is open on Friday evenings and during the day on Saturday and Sunday.
Opening times Friday, 5pm –9pm
Saturday & Sunday, 9.30am – 4pm
Location 31 Harbour Road, Hout Bay
8. EARTH FAIR MARKET
Farm-fresh produce and pasture-reared meat, poultry and organic vegetables can be found at this wholefoods market that happens twice a week. The Wednesday night market is fun, festive and family friendly, with a variety of dinner options, such as Indian curries, bratwursts, sushi and more. Seating is at communal tables in the middle of the bustling stalls. And there’s a wonderful, well-kitted-out kiddies’ area, within eyesight of the dining area.
- Gail’s for delicious Banting treats
- The Ice Cream Boys for delicious frozen treats
- Ciao Bella for amazing pizzas
- Dr Juice for fresh fruit and vegetable juices
- Oded’s Kitchen for belly-warming bowls
- 11 craft beers on tap
Opening times Wednesdays, 4pm – 9pm
Good to know The day market runs on Saturdays, from 8.30am to 2pm
Please note The bar, and some of the vendors, will remain open until 10pm on Wednesday nights, and 3pm on Saturdays.
Contact 082 738 1779, email@example.com
Location South Palms, 333 Main Road, Retreat
9. V&A FOOD MARKET
Where V&A Waterfront
Breakout of your comfort zone. After work drinks at the V&A Food Market. Why? Location is perfect in the V&A Waterfront (nominated top 10 food destination on TripAdvisor). It’s always open, you can sit indoors when windy or quayside for sundowners, there are two great bars with over 15 beers on tap, and for supper, you have over 40 trending food concept stores to choose from. It’s the place to be for those seeking an eating experience with a vibrant atmosphere and plenty of variety.
Good to know
- There’s also a Bottlebank showcasing 23 standout South African gins (to share the back seat with you while you uber home).
- On New Year’s Eve, the V&A Food Market is the perfect spot to avoid the R1000 per head cover that can be found out there. At R100 per head, you get to enjoy the fireworks, while perusing the market’s array of enticing food stalls.
- Tom& for burgers & chicken winglets by Jerry’s Burgers
- Nonna Lina for great pizza and salads
- Thai Hut for great Thai and Dim Sum
- Yokos for delicious dairy & vegan yoghurt smoothies and bowls
- Hokey Poké for fresh fish, meat and vegetarian poké bowls
- Vagabond Kitchens for chicken, steak or vegan wraps
- Knysna Oyster Co for smack-of-the-sea oysters, seared tuna and seafood
- Dos Banditos for Mexican tacos & Korean fusion
- Afrika Bites for hearty pap and meat, samp & beans, bobotie, boerewors
- Unframed Vegan & Non-Vegan Ice Cream
- Hemazing Modern Indian for a Mumbai street food and Thali experience
Opening times November – April: Sunday – Thursday, 10am – 8pm; Friday – Saturday, 10am – 9pm
May – October: Sunday – Thursday, 10am – 7pm; Friday & Saturday, 10am – 8pm
Contact 021 418 1605, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location Old Power Station, Building 19, Dock Road, Pierhead, V&A Waterfront
10. CENTURY CITY NIGHT MARKET
Where Century City
Snuggle up next to a heater in one of the cosy seated areas at the Intaka Island Eco-Centre and enjoy the live music, delicious food and ambience of the Century City Night Market.
Opening times Last Friday of the month, 4pm – 9pm (May – August)
Contact 021 552 6889, email@example.com
Location Intaka Island Eco-Centre, 2, Park Lane, Century City