Welcome to Cape Town – Exciting Info about the Mother City!
A wealth of information covering everything from accommodation, restaurants, events regarding Cape Town ..
Cape Town is a happy blend of culture, cuisine and scenery. Tourists flock here from all over the world throughout the year to experience everything that this major South African city has to offer.
The Mother City boasts three world heritage sites: Table Mountain National Park, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the famous Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. Cape Town was founded in 1652 when Jan van Riebeeck of the Dutch East India Company arrived to set up a halfway point for ships travelling to the east. The city and surrounds is filled with historical and architecturally preserved buildings, neatly hidden between modern high-rise buildings.
A shopping mecca indeed – Cape town has a variety of shopping malls from elegant to antique, craft markets to art galleries and commercial to unique. Everything anyone could ask for.
Most of the Western Cape’s industry is located within the metropolitan area of Cape Town. It is a culturally diverse and dynamic metropolis set among beautiful beaches and winelands with a backdrop of the iconic Table Mountainn.
Some little known and Fun Facts about Cape Town:
- The Castle of Good Hope is the oldest building in South Africa – built between 1666 and 1679
- The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront is the most popular destination for travellers to the city
- The highest number of homes valued at over R20million is situated in Cape Town
- Fancy some Tobogganing? Visit the popular Cool Runnings track just outside of the city centre
- There are close to 7 000 plants in the Cape Floral Kingdom found here which are not found anywhere else in the World !
- Since the 1980’s penguins have made Boulders Beach in Simons Town their home – there are now 1 000’s of penguins providing locals and holidaymakers endless hours of delight
Video of Castle of Good Hope, in Cape Town City
To see and do in the ACTIVITIES section:
- Cape Malay Culture
- Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (largest art museum in Africa)
- The Company’s Garden
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
- Red Bus Sightseeing Tours
- Wine Farms
- Table Mountain Cableway
- V&A Waterfront
- Bicycle Rentals
- Table Mountain Double Descent Tours
- Shark Cage Diving
- Surf School
Video Top Ten Things to do in Cape Town
Looking for a place to stay in Cape Town ? Have a look at the best hotels and other available accommodation in Cape Town.
Please view our accommodation website to find your Holiday accommodation in the area, or you can also view our accommodation directory webpage to search through our many local popular Accommodation Booking Sites to find the accommodation that is perfect for you for your holiday.
Beautiful Cape Town – view Scenic Video
Cape Winelands Travel Information
The Cape Winelands forms part of the Western Cape Province in South Africa. The most well-known wine route in the country is the Stellenbosch Wine Route and should be first on your list. The Franschhoek, Paarl Vinters, Worcester Wine Route and Wellingon Wine route area are excellent.
The Cape Winelands is situated in close proximity to Cape Town, with the towns of Stellenbosch and Paarl less than 30 minutes drive from Cape Town International Airport and Worcester only 60 minutes drive away.
The Cape Winelands is vast and filled with events and happenings, so make sure you set enough time aside to enjoy the beautiful surroundings, taste wine, pick strawberries and participate in numerous events hosted by the various regions.
Activities in the Cape Winelands
There is more to the winelands than tasting exquisite wine. Some
ACTIVITIES to do in the area are as follows:-
- Donkey and horse-and-carriage rides through the vineyards
- Picnics next to a dam to watch the birds
- Cheetah outreach programme where you can interact with the big cats
- Visit Art galleries
- Spa and wellness centres
- Nature and game reserves
- Butterfly enclosure
- Lion park
- Crocodile park
- And so much more is on offer in this region…
There is a vast range of accommodation options available in this area – guest houses to self-catering cottages, wine farms, lodges and much more.
Please view our accommodation website to find your Holiday accommodation in the area, or you can also view our accommodation directory by going to our “Book Accommodation -Online Bookings” webpage to search through our many local popular Accommodation
Booking Sites to find the accommodation that is perfect for your holiday.
The Cape Winelands offers a range of adventure activities and conventional sport facilities including hiking, walking, rock climbing, golf, squash, tennis, indoor heated pools, horse riding and swimming.
Western Cape Route62
Cape Town’s Beauty
To celebrate Cape Town’s beauty, we’ve rounded up some stunning photos of Cape Town that best represent the pretty city’s people, scenes and landscapes. In no particular order, take a look at the breathtaking and exciting Mother City Photo’s.